Monday, April 21, 2008

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

I finally got around to reading Sophie Kinsella's newest book, Remember Me? It's not that I didn't want to read it, but that I knew it would only take me a few hours and I have a huge stack (17 and counting) of books from the library that I need to finish before their due dates. I was planning on saving this for my upcoming plane ride to Utah, but decided to read it last week when I was getting burnt out on all this nonfiction I've been reading lately (reviews to come).

In Remember Me? Alex Smart finds herself in the hospital with a concussion and begins trying to piece together how she got there. All she can remember from the night before is that she had been out drinking with the girls on a rainy night and she slipped and fell on the wet pavement. But when she goes to look in the mirror, she sees that she's somehow lost a good amount of weight and her teeth are amazingly straight and shiny. And why does she have a Louis Vuitton bag next to her nightstand? She can't afford that!

When people begin to visit her, she doesn't recognize them and they look older than she expects. Finally someone tells her that it's 2007 not 2004. The slip and fall incident happened three years ago. But she doesn't remember the last three years, which includes her meeting her now-husband. The tale that ensues is hilarious as always and not nearly as cliche as I had previously thought.

Sophie Kinsella has a way of telling stories that makes me fall in love with her characters and manages to put me in their shoes (even though I know I'll never be able to afford the lifestyle of many of her characters). However, having read all of Kinsella's books, I'm beginning to see a pattern. She spends the first 2/3 of the book making us fall in love with the main character and all of her witty mishaps. We also watch as they nearly destroy their lives, then in the last few chapters the main character thinks of something brilliant that saves her crumbling career, or that of her husband or friends. As I was reading this book I realized it had become formulaic and it made me sad because I do so love Sophie Kinsella. I still recommend this book because it's a fun and easy read, but if you've read all of Kinsella's other work be aware that you'll be reading it saying to yourself, "OK, now what's she going to think of to save everyone's job? Because I know that's coming next."

If you've never read Kinsella, I highly suggest Can you keep a secret? and Confessions of a shopaholic.

10 comments:

Laura said...

I have yet to read anything by Kinsella, but I've heard some great things about her books. Are they similar to those by Jennifer Weiner?

Becca said...

I have to admit, I've never read Jennifer Weiner. For the most part I avoid Chick Lit, but Kinsella caught me before I became such a snob about it. We should make a pact: I'll try Weiner if you try Kinsella...?

Laura said...

I tend to shy away from chick lit as well--I read Weiner only because Good in Bed was highly recommended by a friend. It was an entertaining, relaxing read! I've frequently seen Confessions of a Shopaholic at the used book store--I should pick it up!

LisaMM said...

I haven't read anything by this author. This one sounds similar to that new tv show (also very cute) called "Samantha, Who?" with Christina Applegate.

Becca said...

Lisa: I haven't seen that show, but I love Christina Applegate. I'll have to find out when it's on and get a glimpse of it.

LisaMM said...

The writer's strike messed things up so much. I couldn't even tell you what night of the week it's on. I've stumbled on it a couple of times and it's adorable. Christina Applegate is perfect in this role.

LisaMM said...

Hi.. me again. I swear I'm not a stalker! Just wanted to mention how much I like your blog. You have a new fan! I added you to my blogroll and Google Reader.

Becca said...

Yay! I have readers :-) That makes my heart smile in a big way. Thanks for subscribing Lisa.

Shosh said...

I have this book and I'm just waiting for the perfect moment to read it. I've enjoyed all her other books, even the shopaholic, which can be uncomfortable to read sometimes.

Shoshana

Becca said...

Shoshana: You must be a shopaholic! I found most of that book incredibly uncomfortable, but only because I saw so much of myself in Becky Bloomwood. I can honestly say I've done about half of the things she did in those books and seeing them in print made me both cringe and laugh out loud. It made me feel good to see that I'm obviously not alone.