Monday, July 6, 2009

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

I've never really understood why people are so into The Godfather movies, until now. I've actually only seen bits and pieces of the movies, but I always found them boring and difficult to understand, but the book is nothing like that. Mario Puzo really created a wondeful tale when he put together this book. I love that the book isn't all linear either. It's almost like vignettes, albeit long vignettes, stringing you along until you have an aha moment and know what's going to happen next.

I really loved the character of Michael Corleone (and who doesn't?). It was interesting to see his transformation take place throughout the book. Santino's character is also much more sympathetic in the book than he was in the movies, although the movie (what I've seen so far) really follows the book very closely.

One thing I really liked about this book was that it wasn't nearly as violent as I had expected. The scenes gruesome scenes are actually pretty much glossed over, mentioned only as a side note in most cases. I think it was done as a way to show that, even though the bloody parts of the mafia are what get the press, murder and revenge aren't what the mob is really all about. Puzo does a great job of explaining the legitimate businesses of the mob, along with explaining their involvement in gambling rings and other more seedy business operations. In addition, he really helps the reader to understand the inner workings of the mob and the society they have created for themselves. I found it a very interesting and informative read and I couldn't put it down.

If you've ever wondered why they say "go to the mattresses," pick up this book. It will all make sense by the time you're through.

Other reviews of this book can be found here:
Books I done read

No comments: