Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Love your public library

There aren't much things I like better in the world than my public library. I can order all of the books I want for free. I can go on a waiting list for the popular books and have them waiting for me at my local branch as soon as they come in. And how cute is it that they still only charge 25 cents a day for turning a book in late. Blockbuster has nothing on the public library. I'm sitting in my public library using free internet and marveling over the four books I just checked out:

I've had "Anthills of the Savannah" on my reading list for more than a year, and have it listed as one of my books for the TBR Challenge. I've been in love with Chinua Achebe's writing ever since I read "Things Fall Apart" in 10th grade. Achebe is a natural storyteller who conveys the history of his people and the effects of imperialism in his short books. I've read wonderful things about this book and am looking forward to it.

Another Margaret Atwood book. Another book based around WWII. I'm becoming predictable in my old age. I've been looking for another Atwood book to read, and this one came highly recommended so I'm giving it a try. This is supposed to be one of her best books, and winner of The Booker Prize. I found the cover for "The Blind Assassin" to be a little confusing, but that's not unusual for an Atwood book. I guess I'll just have to read it to see what it's really about. I promise to report back.

"The Solace of Leaving Early" is another book that was recommended to me by a friend. It's Haven Kimmel's first novel. The basic premise is a murder in a small town brings two friends together. The first, 40-year-old preacher Amos Townsend, had been counseling the deceased as her marriage was unraveling. The second, Langston Braverman has abandoned her Ph.D. studies in search of a simpler life, only to return home to the news that one of her childhood friends has been murdered.

And, lastly, I am finally going to get around to reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma." I have heard great things about this book and really want to read it before my copy of Michael Pollan's new book arrives. I'm currently 91st on the list, so I won't be too rushed to finish Dilemma. For those of you who haven't heard of "The Omnivore's Dilemma," it is Pollan's attempt to answer the question, "What should we eat?" For omnivores it isn't an easy answer because we are able to eat just about anything nature has to offer us. In the book Pollan gives a history of four different kinds of diets and shows the benefits and downfalls of each.

No comments: