Saturday, August 30, 2008

Reading for Awareness: Maw's Books Challenge

One of my most favorite book bloggers, just became even more dear to me. Natasha over at Maw's Books has been reading a lot of nonfiction lately about major social issues lately, one of which is the genocide happening right now in Darfur. Those of you who have been reading my personal blog for the past few years know that this is an issue I've personally been following for some time. It's also something I think is very important and that is not being addressed well enough within the main stream media. I commend Natasha for her ongoing efforts to learn about this issue and bring it to people's attention. And I love that she's not just talking about (as I often do), she's doing something to help.

Natasha has dedicated her book blog (which is quite a popular one) to reading and blogging about Darfur for the entire month of September as a way to raise money for the many aid organizations working to help the Sudanese displaced by this war. For each person who posts about her, she's giving a small donation to the cause. In addition, she's asking her readers to commit to making donations in the form of one penny per page she reads during the month of September, or 50 cents per blog she writes. In addition, she's going to be encouraging her readers (that's me!) to read and review books about the crisis in Sudan - and for each one, she'll be donating $1 to the cause. This is by far my most favorite part of her month-long project. I love that Natasha isn't expecting her readers to just take her word for it. Instead she's encouraging us to get involved and educate ourselves on this issue. And by doing so, I think more of us will be motivated to give, not only our money, but our time to the cause.

Please check over at Maw's Books Blog for more information. You can also click here to see a list of books Natasha has recommended to get yourself informed about Darfur. And best of luck to you Natasha! I can't wait to see how much money you raise!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Becca!!! You're making me blush! You don't know how much it means to me to have your participate!