Saturday, June 28, 2008

24-Hour Read-a-Thon Coverage


OK, so I'm a total slacker and missed the first hour of the read-a-thon. Somehow, even on this important day, I couldn't say no to the snooze button. But now I'm up, I'm ready and I'm reading! I'll be updating this blog every couple of hours with information on how many pages I've read and whatnot. I'll also be doing the mini-challenges and other fun stuff that goes along with the read-a-thon. FYI I will only be updating this specific post, rather than adding a new post every hour. This will keep from clogging your readers, but please do check back throughout the day. It will make my heart smile in a big way :-)

OK then, first mini-challenge:

Where are you reading from today? My boyfriend's parents' house in Galt, CA. I'm housesitting for them at the moment. I plan to read on the sundeck for the early morning hours (if the smoke/haze has cleared up), then move indoors to either the giant cushy bed or to the couch. I tend to move back and forth between the two as I see fit.

3 facts about me …
* I hate writing facts about me. It makes me nervous because I worry I'll either sound boring or I'll sound like I'm bragging.

* When I run only half of my face sweats and turns red. The other side stays cold and looks perfectly normal. I got made fun of in gym class A LOT. Now I kind of like the freakish nature of it.

* My favorite sport of all time is Rugby. I fell in love with it when I lived in Paris and I've never really recovered.

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
I have 18 books and a copy of Time magazine in my stack right now. I think I'll finish the magazine and possibly three of the books. But maybe only two. I'm a pretty slow reader, but I'm already halfway through Animal, Vegetable, Miracle so I'll for sure finish that one.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
My goal is to read at least 18 of the 24 hours.

Any advice for people doing this for the first time?
Um, this is my first time! My advice so far would be to NOT hit the snooze button. I'll add to this as the day goes on and I learn more about what it means to be a read-a-thon-er.

6 comments:

Ana S. said...

Well, the good side is that you got some more rest and so you will be able to stay up more easily. Good luck and have fun!

Becca said...

Nymeth: Way to look on the bright side! :-) That made me feel a lot better.

Anonymous said...

That just means that you slept until the very beginning which you probably needed. Have fun!

alisonwonderland said...

welcome to the read-a-thon! i'm a slow reader too - and i'm reading with my daughter who is a very fast reader, so i'm going to feel pretty unsuccessful by comparison, i fear ... enjoy the day!

Stephanie said...

You are doing better than me. I actually have to work this afternoon. So, I'm here to cheer you on a little now, and maybe later tonight, just to see if you are all still at it!!

Good luck and Happy reading!

Becca said...

Alisonwonderland: Yeah, but kid's/teenager's books are shorter so just think of it that way when she's on book 7 and you're still working your way through book 1. :-)

Stephanie: Thanks for the cheers! Such a bummer that you have to work!