Thursday, June 19, 2008

The 24-hour Read-a-thon!

Most book bloggers out there have already heard of Dewey's read-a-thon and the amazing prizes she's offering. But for those of you non-bloggers out there, I thought I'd fill you in. See, there's this fab 24-hour read-a-thon going on next weekend (begins June 28 at 9 a.m.), which will benefit Reading is Fundamental, an organization that works toward improving children's literacy rates. I've got a stack of about 14 books to choose from so finding something to read won't be the hard part of reading for a full 24 hours. I think the hard part will be staying awake and keeping my eyes from burning.

Also, I don't know if this counts, but I'm totally hoping it does, I'm going to download a book for my iPod so I don't have to forgo doing my long run on Saturday. I'll be able to "read" and run at the same time! How awesome is that? Yeah, I'm super happy I thought of it. Perhaps I'll also use this method for eating too. My goal is going to be to read for at least 18 hours of the read-a-thon. If I get really into a great book I'll for sure be able to make it through the wee hours of the night, but if it's something awful I won't be able to give in to the temptation of sleep.

Um, so if you want to participate, you can find the rules here. And if reading really isn't your thing, but you want to contribute to the cause you can donate here. Also, if you do donate, can you let me know either here on the comment board or by email (bexadler at yahoo dot com) so I can track how much we raise? That would be awesome, thanks!

2 comments:

Dewey said...

An audiobook while running definitely counts! I'll be doing the same with hiking.

Anonymous said...

Good luck and have fun! I won't be able to participate this year but I'll be curious to see how everybody does.